Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tutorial - How to make an upholstered headboard with mirror border

Hi everyone!  Now that I've recouped a little after the makeover of my master bedroom for the One Room Challenge, I want to show you some of the DIY projects I implemented in my bedroom.  Today,  I'm going to show you how my husband and I constructed the biggest focal point in my bedroom, the six foot tall upholstered headboard with mirror border.  The best part of this is that the upholstered section is easily interchangeable with another fabric if a change is needed.  I am thrilled at the way it turned out, it really makes a statement in the room.

Let's get started, here's what we used for a king size headboard.

-  Two - 1/2" - 4ft. by 8ft. plywood or MDF panel (One panel can be enough for a shorter headboard)
-  Two - 2" X 4" for the legs
-  One - 1/4" plywood or MDF for upholstered section
-  2" foam to accommodate the upholstered area
-  Batting
-  Fabric of choice
-  Simple molding slats for the border
-  Mirror strips cut to size at a glass & mirror store
-  Stain or paint
-  Spray adhesive
-  Mirror adhesive
-  Preferably nail gun
-  Heavy duty stapler
-  Screws


First, design the headboard and take measurements of the desired upholstered section.  Upholstered portion will dictate the size of the surrounding moldings and mirror.

Cut the plywood or MDF to size, this can be done at Lowes or Home Depot (as long as you purchase the wood from them)

Screw in the 2 X 4's to the back of the panel.  I measured where to place the 2 X 4"s according to the metal frame of my bed so that I can screw in the metal frame to the 2 X 4 legs.

This is where the interchangeable fabric comes in... After figuring out the size of the upholstered section, cut the 1/4" plywood or MDF to the same size.  Spray the adhesive on the 1/4" panel, place the foam on top and wrap it with the batting.

Wrap the fabric and staple.

Meanwhile, stain or paint all the wood molding pieces...
Next, add the molding and mirror to the perimeter of the headboard.  Make sure you do the math correctly for the size of all the components.   I was never very good in math or measuring so I did have some trials and tribulations, thanks to my hubby he was able to correct them.


Then, insert the upholstered section and screw from behind the headboard to secure.  If you need to change the fabric in the future, just unscrew from the back to take out the insert, reupholster and screw back in

Viola! You got yourself a custom headboard!



I hope you like this tutorial and check out the rest of the room here.  I will be posting the DIY drum chandelier next, I hope you come back to see it.



Thank you so much for stopping by!

Sherry

Linking this post to:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment

Content.ad - Widget 1

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...